40 Ways to Save Money
Starting your savings is hard. Just like anything, the first step is always the hardest. But with a little discipline, creativity and work, you can start saving money. You don’t need to do all of those. Just a few will help you kick off your saving.
These tips and tricks, gathered from different resources, are the most common ways of saving money.
1. Pay off all your debts first before saving.
2. Keep track of your expenses.
3. Bring lunch to work.
4. Say ‘no’ to sodas. Drink water.
5. Use the ‘envelope’ method for your household expenses.
6. Leave your credit cards at home.
7. Set a fixed amount that you will save every month.
8. Minimize mall trips.
9. Read personal finance books, blogs and online boards.
10. Open a savings account that does not come with an ATM.
11. Cut back on eating out.
12. Stick to your grocery budget.
13. If you want to buy something, ask yourself if this is a ‘need’ or a ‘want.’
14. Take advantage of promos.
15. If you saw something you want to buy in a mall, wait for 30 minutes to see if the urge to buy disappears.
16. Don’t bring a lot of cash in your wallet.
17. Commute. Don’t take taxi rides.
18. Treat yourself to one major splurge every month.
19. Don’t eat at pricey restaurants.
20. Take advantage of the free stuff in your office like coffee, snacks, juice, etc.
21. Fly economy.
22. Save up for big expenses.
23. Keep your hairstyle short and simple.
24. Learn to pamper yourself at home.
25. Exercise at home. Don’t go to the gym.
26. Always do your shopping list and food menu.
27. Bring your leftover food at work.
28. Use your credit card only if you can pay the balance in full. Use it for the points only.
29. Plan vacations early.
30. Car pool.
31. Stay away from sales of items you don’t need.
32. Don’t follow fads.
33. Go into business to bring more money.
34. Do the grocery once or twice a month to save on gas and avoid impulse-buying.
35. Take care of your health.
36. Look for alternatives.
37. Coffee in convenience stores like 7-11 or Ministop is cheaper than from Starbucks.
38. Don’t bring your kid when doing the grocery.
39. Buy second-hand books.
40. When going to the mall, make sure you eat at home first and that you feel full.